Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Desmond Tutu's Apology

Yesterday Desmond Tutu apologized for the persecution of gay people in the church.

“I want to apologise to you and to all those who we in the church have persecuted,” Archbishop Tutu says in the interview.

“I’m sorry that we have been part of the persecution of a particular group. For me that is quite un-Christ like and, for that reason, it is unacceptable.

“May be, even as a retired Archbishop, I probably have, to some extent, a kind of authority but apart from anything let me say for myself and anyone who might want to align themselves with me, I’m sorry.

“I’m sorry for the hurt, for the rejection, for the anguish that we have caused to such as yourselves.”

As a religious leader well practiced in the art of reconciliation, Bishop Tutu is giving direction to all of us on strategies toward making change. When congregations, religious leaders and denominational heads begin publicly to apologize for past wrongs, it makes moving forward as people of faith possible. This was a profound act that hopefully will have a ripple effect in all our places of worship.

No comments: